We have tried to be as cost efficient as possible with this kitchen redo. We have reused all the cabinets and countertops, just moved them to the other side of the room. One problem that we came across was that previously, the cabinets were built around a flue that ran through the attic to the basement.
The flue was no longer needed, but the granite was cut to fit around it. And we weren't about to pay to redo the counter tops and toss out my 6 year old granite! (actually, I think that the granite is thousands of years old, but it has only been with me for a few of those years)
I searched antique malls, flea markets, and everywhere I could think, for something that would fit over the hole. This little cabinet out in my studio was as close as I came, but still was a tad short. I found it years ago at the very first auction I ever went to. It was $2.
Easy fix! A bit of trim, some nails, glue, and calking, and you'd never know the cabinet was not always there. I added some decorative trim and painted it to match the rest of the cabinets, and now only need another glass knob to finish it off.
I added some leftover trim from when we first installed the cabinets. The embellishments are made of glue. When they are fresh (made to order from the manufacturer) you can just steam them and stick them on, then paint or stain. When they are old, like these, they need to be glued and calked into place.
These come in ANY and every style you can imagine. You can find them here.
I especially love the rosey ones. They aren't cheap, but are unique and cost less than wooden trims. I spent under $400 when our cabinets were being built, and have a bag left over, plus have used them on lots and lots of other pieces over the years. I over bought for the project, but have loved to have the baggie full of rosey bits and other trims to use here and there. A few pieces in the right spots can really elevate a dresser or buffet.
One of the best things about the redo is the new (old) ceilng covering. Trouble was, I couldn't find enough old tins to do the whole job. I had 20 of two different patterns. One we used all around the perimiter of the room, and this one we filled in with.
There weren't quite enough to do the center of the room with the same tiles. There were enough from the border to fill in the center, but I didn't want to do that. Instead, I raided my stash in the garage and found a few odds and ends of different patterns of tin and we patchworked 4 of those around each chandelier.
To make it look like that was a design choice, not an, "Oh my gosh, I'm out of matching tins, grab those over there for me to fill in with" mess up, I glazed the 8 oddball ones to match the chandeliers they hung over. I wanted to accentuate the odd tiles.
In this photo, the chandelier isn't completely re-installed, but can you see where I am going with it? I found all the 2' x 4' tins for $20 each, and have enough remnants to do the bathroom too. The installation was $800 for both rooms, so not bad for the complete transformation they give the kitchen. Plus, they cover up the fact that one room had a 3" higher ceiling than the other.
Some of the tins were in pretty bad shape and needed a lot of calking to hide it. The rust will start to peek through all the white satin paint, but I am kinda looking forward to that.
Here is a photo with it almost done. The guys put up a narrow trim piece around the 4 squares and I still need to calk and paint the trim. I'm thinking I'll paint it the same color as the wall, since that is the base color I used for the glazing.
First I painted them white.
Afterwards, a quick wipe of the highpoints with a dry paper towel and it was done.
I did the same technique on the 4 tins above each light fixture and also on the little cabinet I used to cover the hole in the granite.
Remodelling ain't for sissies. Unless you have an unlimited budget and can pay someone else to do it all. We have a great contractor and crew working on the room, but I'm trying to save money where I can. I'll be staining the floors myself, and have already repainted the front of the exterior of the house where they had to reside the area that used to be a window.
We are on the home stretch now! Its starting to look like home again. That is, under about 6" of old sawdust and drywall powder, I can sort of see a homey place developing.