I brought quite a few of my own supplies, including the blue enamelled flower along with me, but she provided high quality, pretty things to work with too.
As a matter of fact, between what she gave us in the kits and what I brought, I was able to make two necklaces in her class. I didn't really master the techniques she was teaching, I kind of went off on my own, but she was a good teacher and had a great way of doing her examples that made it easy to follow.
One of the necklaces that I made will be for me to keep, and the other is a birthday gift for a dear freind.
Its a pea salad, that you can make with fresh, farmer's mkt peas, or frozen ones right from the bag.
- about a 1/2 bag of peas
- 1/2 a sweet red pepper, chopped
- about 1/2 cup of chopped purple cabbage
- 1/2 a sweet Vidalia onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup of fat free feta cheese crumbles
- 6 boiled eggs, chopped (mine were straight from the hen house!)
- sea salt, garlic powder, and pepper to taste
- olive oil based mayo, enough to moisten (I don't like a lot of dressing, so added mine a couple spoonfuls at a time till it looked right)
Another salad for the week was a simple fruity one.
- one honey dew, cubed
- one quart of strawberries, halved
- juice of one lime
- drizzle of agave syrup
- a splash of pomegranate juice
- two sprigs of mint leaves
- one can of lime selzter water
- a 1/4 packet of drink powder
- pour over a pretty glass filled with ice
- add a pink straw
- top with mint leaves
I sure don't miss Diet Coke when I have one of these in my hands. I used to think that those drink powder packets were silly. Why not just buy a drink already made up? They are meant for bottled waters, and I really thought it was ridiculous to buy a drink twice. The water, then the powder.
But, I got a sample of them, and took some along on my last trip and they are nice to have around and taste pretty good. Especially if you use club soda with them, and only a tiny part of the packet at a time, I usually get four drinks from one. And since I usually mix my soda with juice anyway, it doesn't feel extravagant to mix this in like it would if I used it in a bottle of water.
And if you know of any good junking areas around Raleigh or Nags Head please email me with some shopping ideas!