We have a small group at Birdsong, so I thought that just a few swaps would do. We are swapping banners, Altoid tins, and embellished bottles.
Swaps are a blast to watch. The ladies come up with such spectacular gifts for each other. I rarely have time to join in at most events I go to, but love watching them.
This year, one swap was not partnered up. Instead, participants bring an embellished bottle, and draw names to trade. Since it was open ended, I figured I'd be able to join in if time allowed. And it did. Or I forced it to, by making time to do it.
I had this cool, old bottle, with kind of wavy glass and decided to fill it with a bird and nest. I used a picture of a meadowlark on the inside, since that is the state bird of Kansas. First, I drizzled glue down into the bottle, then with a narrow dowel rod, I arranged moss and turquoise eggs to make a nest. After that, I added the bird picture and a twig.
While the glue was wet, I dropped in a few little millinery blooms and sprinkled glitter over the nest. I drizzled more glue over it all to hold it in place, then left the lid off for a week or so, till it all dried.
I decided that I needed a little meadowlark info from a vintage birding book, and glued that to the inside of the bottle too.
Which was dumb. It was so hard to do, trying to get it straight with the stick. Like building a ship in a bottle.
Trouble is, after all that effort, it could have just as easily been glued to the outside of the bottle for the same effect. Oh well. You don't learn if you don't try.
I had to add some paper to the back of the bottle anyway. So, should have just glued the meadowlark paper there in the first place.
The bottle is further decked out in aqua velvet ribbon, and a pink velvet flower, plus some other tidbits.
While I was at it, I did a couple more bottles.
And tried my hand at an Altoid tin. I'd never decorated one before and soon realized that with the moving lid and hinges, paper wasn't the best choice for it all. So, I spray painted the box, inside and out first, and then distressed the paint with sandpaper.
I was able to use ribbon, paper, flowers, and other embellishments on the non moving parts.
Doing something out of my normal type of colors and materials was a challenge that I enjoyed, I'd been so busy with cleaning, entertaining, getting ready for Birdsong, that my soul needed a little creative break.
As much as I love doing this event, it does take a lot out of me, and I miss my time just to sit and make stuff.
But- soon, I'll be sitting with my Peeps, and crafting away. Can't wait!