I've been working away on the book covers for the Nature's Blessings swap, but I really should be more factory-like as I do them.
But I just can't be!
I glue some papers... iron some canvas... cut out some angels (oh my, there are a LOT of little feathers on those wings!)...White wash a few covers,well, you get the picture.
If I had a lick of sense, I'd do all of one step, then move on to the next step. Instead of having odd numbers of each step finished.
Then, of course, I need to take breaks to make some interior pages of my own so I can join the swap too! (this one features a crepe paper ruffle trimming a pocket made from an old advertising card.)
This page is backed with a page about gardening taken from a 1800s French magazine that I bought from Gwen for only $1.
Over that, I added a bowl of apples cut from a Victorian scrap album. And lo and behold, I actually was able to pull it out! Have you noticed how fantastic the glue usually is in those old scrap albums!??? Oh my goodness, what did they use for glue that is still holding so darn tight over 100 years later????????
I want some of that glue! But I think getting it involves rendering hooves, or something and I am fresh out right now.
The apples and the illustrations from the French gardening article made me think of harvest time and canning up nature's summer abundance to eat all winter long. So, I found the word "abundance" in an old dictionary and cut it out, then glued it to a piece of summer green, velvety ribbon.
The ribbon is only glued down at the sides, so that it became a towel rack to hang a tiny, vintage dish towel on. That seemed to complete my thoughts about canning summer produce, old kitchens, etc.
Whoever gets this page, can take the mini dish towel out for some other purpose, or keep it in the book. The page is fine either way, because the French text underneath is pretty dang cool.
I love that stuff.
Sorry, this photo isn't real sharp. It is old, lined, stationary paper with a rose on it.
I trimmed the top in more French magazine paper, some velvet and a flower. Plus some lace across the top.
Each of my pages has a little something peeking out from either the top, bottom, or side. I think that the book will be so much fuller and prettier looking if the swappers have embellishments that are protruding to show outside of the book.
Like the sheer flower petals showing from under the nest on this page.
People have asked me if it is okay to use fabric or something other than card stock to make their pages. I really want the pages to be card stock, for ease of putting the books together. But, like on this page, you can use other materials over it.
This is card stock, with fabric, that I have sewn on. The center is more French text (thanks, Gwen!!) that will be a pretty back ground for the book's soon to be owner, to glue a photo or momento over.
It isn't too late to join, if you are interested in making some pages of your own. Or you can purchase an empty book, ready to fill yourself. I've sent out quite a few of those already, and we are up to almost 75 swappers. The more the merrier! We will have a lot of variety in the pages. I'm so pleased to have a good turn out for this. I know it is a bigger swap than I've done in the past, commitment-wise.
Packages are starting to come in the mail, but I won't be opening them yet. As boxes arrive, they go into tubs, stacking up until almost time to start filling books. It's much easier to keep track of hundreds pages if I keep them in their original packages till I need them.
Also, I am working on a book binding tutorial. So far I have photographed and written instructions for 3 styles, I want to add at least 3 more before having it ready to market. Details to come.