Coffee filter roses seriously took over my life for about a week over Valentine's Day. I had no reason or need to be making them. But once I thought about doing it, I had to try.
And once I tried one, I had to do more.
And then try little tricks to make them better.. I found that adding a narrow roll of paper to make a bud really brought the blooms to life. As did using watercolors to deepen tones along the edges of the petals.
I never did perfect the use of floral tape. That stuff is high on my list of nemesisses. It doesn't even respond well to glue. And I actually got out the hot glue gun, that is not a typical tool in my crafting arsenal.
This called for the Big Guns.
Although, I did find that the tape was ideal to cut into pointed strips and use around the buds and at the base of the flowers. It was not at all easy to attach, I glued each piece on, then added more glue over it with strips of tape wrapped around that . And glued it down on the ends.
Still, the tape has an ethereal quality and naturally curls up when cut in the strips. So, while it wasn't easy to do, it was worth the effort.
Eventually, I had to force myself to stop making coffee filter flowers and get on with my life. I gave some away to loved ones, and made a couple vase fulls for myself, and then tucked away the supplies with a promise that I'd dig them out again when I had more time.
Because I am not done yet, those blooms are addictive.
Having the Farewell to Downton book to work on was helpful to get my mind off the roses. Also, planning the trip to San Diego got me into gear. There is nothing like a deadline to pull me away from an obsession.
If you'd like to be a part of the art journal swap, please email me at: email@example.com
I'm in CA for a nice, long, visit, but will return your emails and sign you up when I return.