When the wall came down between the kitchen and the room we are adding on, I could see my living room from a whole new angle.
The wall with the vintage book pages now was highly visible along with the rose wallpaper on the stairs. Previously, you could see the stairs from the kitchen, and the wall from the living room, not both at once. Now that they were on view together, they clashed, it was way too busy for me.
So, I took some of the paint color that I'll be using in the new room (Sandstone Cliff) and washed over the too bright white with roses to tone it down.
See what I mean?
At first, I'd contemplated changing the paper, but I did love the vintage rose wallpaper. With this fix, I still have my pretty flowers, but hopefully they are not competing with the wall covered in old book pages.
(In this picture, I've only washed the bottom two as a sample.)
And here it is all done, with an antiquing, bronze glaze over the paint. You can still see the flowers, but the paper has more depth now than it did with just the paint wash.
It was a quick fix, under a half hour to wash down all of the risers, then even less time for the glaze over that. And so far, I'm happy with it. I'll have to see once the room is complete and I can stand back and see how it all works together. It seems to match the text wall much better now.