Before repainting the dining room table, I wanted to try out the crackle paint on something.
This is an itsy chest of drawers I'd found at an estate sale for ten bucks and it desperately needed a make over.
But I liked the two toned style of it as it was. Just not quite as it actually was... Seriously, there was a desperate need for a redo.
I decided to paint the cabinet and cover the drawers in paper.
Personally, I dislike modpodge. I live in Kansas, which is very humid and I knew that a piece of furniture with that on it would be a sticky mess in July.
Also, I didn't want the over 100 year old handwriting on the paper to smear. So I drizzled The Ultimate glue over the drawer fronts and pressed the pages into it, burnishing it well.
I don't pre-cut or measure. The paper gets glued down, then trimmed off with a sanding sponge.
Not only does it give the edge a clean cut, it helps adhere the paper to the wood.
Because the paper is so old, I couldn't use a top coat over it. I didn't want that ancient ink to run. This probably isn't a good idea for a piece that will get heavy use, so wherever I decide to put it, should be a low traffic spot. I might use it in the studio, or a guest room.
Funny, I didn't have any place in mind for it when I bought it. I simply wanted to save it. Years ago, I redid furniture for a living, and I miss that sometimes. When I see a small (NOT heavy!) piece for cheap, I can't help myself. I have to snag it and fix it up.
And I'm glad I got this little guy.
I think he fits in just right at my house, wherever I end up using him.