If only our gravel drive and walkways always looked this good! Too bad it is so costly to have fresh rocks delivered, or I'd do it every year. We usually keep it to every four years. Heck, for what we spend over time, we could probably pay for concrete.
Maybe not, we have a LOT of driveway.
Now, you might think this is a blah subject for pictures. But to me, it is a heavenly site to see a big, expanse of newly spread rock with no weeds or grass growing through it (yet). And lush, green, overgrown landscaping. After years of draught, I forgot Kansas could be pretty in August. Not much is in bloom, but it sure is green this year!
I love the fresh, clean, weedless expanse of a newly spread load (or three) of rock.
So do the grand fairies. Although, it doesn't look quite the same when they have had their fun with it.
All of this new rock was unplanned. We had a torn up area in front of the house from digging some gas lines, and needed to repair it. Originally, there was gravel to the left, a propane tank hidden by a decades and decades old lilac bush, then wild, overgrown ground cover to the right and center.
Taking out the gas lines and the propane tank left this mess and wrecked the lilac.
At first I was discouraged by the look of it all.
Then, I saw the opportunities. Why not turn this spot into two parking areas instead of one? We do tend to have a lot of guests.
And I turned the ripped out lilac into a pile of prospective broomsticks for the witch kits I'll be making for Romantic Gothic Ghosts.
Since we needed new gravel for the front of the house, we had extra delivered and did most of the rest of the trails and drives too. I kind of wish we had done this one, but we just mow it every once in a while and it stays okay.
But this area was a challenge. The gas line redo had left mounds of dirt where our sump pump drains into the yard and it would cause the water to back up into the basement again.
So, I dug a long trench from the house to the driveway, filled it with river rock, and created a flower bed around it before the gravel guys came out.
Not knowing that the gravel guys could have just graded it for me with the bobcat.
Now, they had to work around the area I had slaved over in the heat!!
Sometimes it sucks to be a know-it-all-do-it-yourselfer.
I do like the new flower bed, though. I didn't line the bottom half with bricks or stones, because I know that cars would just run over them and knock them loose. I've seen it happen here. Also, I plan for the ground cover to spread over the edges by next year.
Along the wall of the house, I made another bed. I've put in shrubs, but need one more. I had to wait till the gas meter was installed so the bush wouldn't be in the way.
The local nursery was having a 50-75% off clearance, and I skedaddled over there to load up on flowers and plants. It has been a moist summer, so I think it is safe to plant. Normally, the ground would've been hard as stone in August, but it was pretty easy to slip Russian sage, weigela, phlox, lemon grass and daisies into the ground.
So easy, that I went back to the nursery and bought 18 daisies and painted daisies to add in front of the studio. I can't wait to see if they bloom next year!! At $1 each, if only half bloom, I'll still feel happy about it.
Speaking of the studio, new gas lines went through it too. I had the option of ripping up drywall, or just adding an ugly black pipe through the room.
I chose the pipe, painted it white, and hung plates from it. The plates were up there on nails before, so it isn't a huge change in the look of the room, but I think they look pretty hanging from the pipe instead. Plus, the soffit really needed a fresh coat of paint, it had been about 10 years.
And it was much easier than repairing drywall!